Sailing ocean

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sailing ocean

Post by Ann on Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:18 pm

Has anybody ever looked into it?

I'm no professional and just had a quick runthrough but I've seen that the world record for a America-England sailing of a supposed 5330km is 4days ish.
When a Portugal-Guiana world record for a supposed 6100km is an astonishing 48 days with a 5 members crew.

The difference looks massiv but with a watch at a flat map it makes more sense.

Another thing with the southern crossing of ocean is that they must follow 'traditional' routes that takes an incredible amount of time for the supposed nautical miles they cross and use the northern part of the 'south emisphere'. The other ones get hit by waves or pirates but end up not making it.

https://ww w.seabreeze.com.au/News/Cruising/British-sailors-missing-at-sea-between-South-Africa-and-Australia_5220074 .aspx
This couple headed south from south africa and got lost, most likely hit by pirates.
Starting to feel like piracy is the way the governments use to don't let us head south without getting directly involved.

I might have jumped to conclusion but I thought it would be worth noticing so somebody can do extended research on it.
If anybody ever covered the subject please link it to me (:

EDIT: Check out John Beeden Pacific row crossing with an mindblowing 209 days for 7miles of water.
Quick maths says it's about 1mile per hour or 4 times slower than the average walking pace.
He said he was rowing an average of 15hours per day and yet went 4 times slower than you walking to the grocerie shop when you can picture the waves giveing him momentum and boost of speed and him rowing for over half a day.
A flat map would obviously explain the whole thing with him being way quicker than that but the expected distance being much greater.
Once again I know close to nothing about rowing/sailing and might be completely wrong.
EDIT2: John Beeden rowed 7000miles. I meant 7000 but typed 7. It stills add up to 1.3mph.

Last edited by Ann on Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ann

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sailing ocean

Post by FL@T-E@RTH on Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:16 pm

Interesting, It's something I will look in to.

Check out John Beeden Pacific row crossing with an mindblowing 209 days for 7miles of water.

That is unbelievably slow even for rowing against a tide,
Here in the UK we have people who swim the English Channel, from England (obviously! to France)
They set off from Dover England and arrive in Calais France, the distance is 21 miles and the record is just 6 hours, 57 minutes and 50 seconds, Held by a Bulgarian, Petar Stoychev who set the record on August 24th 2007.
Incidentally the slowest time was set by Jackie Cobell who drifted off course due to tides and ended up swimming an insane 64 miles in 28 hours and 44 minutes!
FL@T-E@RTH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann on Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:39 pm

As you stated, this guy swim at an average 3.5mph pace knowing that he can't be at full speed for 6h straight.
This rowing guy was 3 times slower.

The traditional map used for travel over sea with a boat is the Mercator one.
https://ww w.google.co.uk/search?q=mercator%20chart
A cylindric projection of the 'globe' that is used cause it's meant to be the most accurate one for sailing.

I came accross the notion of Great Circle Route.
As the earth is meant to be a globe, the quickest route on a flat projection will be a curve.
This works well in the northern part but for the rest the gps gives random path. Sometimes a straight line, sometimes a curved one.
Yet the GPS Should be always showing a curved north for the north hemisphere and a curved south for the south hemisphere. That's not the case.
My shot on it is that the maps are wrong.
Went on a forum where a bunch of guy were asking why the gps is showing straight lines on the map and not curved one. I have the link somewhere.

The southern great route chart:
http://w ww.seabreezenauticalbooks.com/product/nga-nautical-chart-63/
Just couldn't wrap my brain around it. I know that the mercator chart show the world as a cylindric shape but like how does that fit the Globe model.
This seems to show the map from the inside which is odd.

Something 'funny' with the Antarctica sailing:
http://ww w.yachtingworld.com/blogs/elaine-bunting/antarctic-deaths-enormous-ramifications-6330

With this threat:
'Andhøy had not obtained the necessary permit to visit Antarctica and so did not comply with the due diligence'
Gotta read the bottom part of the article threatening more people that would try to go around there without permit.
“The ramifications will be enormous,” he tells me. “Antarctica is no longer a wilderness, it’s a managed territory with guidelines that have been in place for decades.
You have to apply to one of the Antarctic Treaty countries for a permit

Seems very weird to say when they are meant to have been hit by a storm or just got lost.

And the last bit for now is the Vendee Globe.
A race around Antarctica that starts... in France.
Yeah you read that well.
Wikipedia it and you will see that the race makes no sense and by just doing France-south africa-south america-then france back. It would gives the illusion that they went around the antartica in a timely manner.
Timely manner that would held the world record at 12mph average speed.

Ann

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum