Gravity Does Not Exist!

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Gravity Does Not Exist! - Page 6 Empty Re: Gravity Does Not Exist!

Post by Doubleskeptic on Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:23 am

Ok, if the truth is not hidden, can you give me some references ? Where did YOU read about these things ? Can you give me more details about what exactly Cassini did measure ? And how did he infer from his measurements the conclusions that you seem to get ?

Anyway, there are two different surveys. And they apparently give two different results. How can I choose which one I trust the most ? Should I trust the more recent one ? Should I trust the one which measured the longest segment ? Should I trust the one that measured a small segment but in many different locations ? Should I trust the one that has other compelling evidence ?

And as far as I'm aware, Cassini never argued that the Earth was flat. If you have evidence suggesting otherwise, please provide it. He argued that the polar radius was bigger than the equatorial radius, which is somethign that only make sense on a spheroid, and as you said "His data has never been found in error". So do you believe that the Earth is a spheroid ?

Doubleskeptic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RedorBlue on Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:19 pm

A good place to start - read the first three chapters of he book " Full Meridian of Glory" by P. Murdin plus the first few chapters of R. Whitaker's book " The Mapmaker's Wife ". Both will provide you with a fair overview of the controversy surrounding the shape of the earth concerning the surveys of Cassini , Maupertuis and La Condamine. Not written by flat earthers by the way.

It's up to you to apply critical reasoning and skepticism to enable you to form your own judgement.

Cassini's scientific survey over 8 degrees of latitude is a far superior work compared to the flawed survey of less than one degree ( 57' 48" if I remember) carried out in Lapland .

I'm not aware either that Cassini argued that earth was flat .However he did present his findings in a 24ft diameter known world map centered on the north pole .

Based on his findings that successive latitudes shortened by 1/800 in length I struggle to see where the prolate sphere idea came in . I'd say that information points mathematically to a plane surveyed with respect to the North star , which is how he surveyed . Prolate sphere was introduced because the only other explanation was the plane of earth .

I have no cause to believe the earth is anything but a stationary plane , based on scientific observation and experiment .

RedorBlue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Oliver_Bestfall on Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:01 pm

You're both right and you're both wrong.

A "Cassini Projection" as described and proposed in 1745 by César-François Cassini de Thury, is an equator-centric projection which had been taken over by Johann Georg von Soldner and is now also known as a Cassini-Soldner Projection.  Soldner, not Cassini, was most commonly referenced as a proponent of gravity affecting the travel of light.  See also https://en.wikisource.org/?curid=755966

Cassini was not researching gravity.

And, for that matter, "Cassini" is actually 4 generations of the Cassini family, which had the extraordinary task of mapping France.  The final submission of the Cassini France Map is said to have been secured and preserved as a symbol of national pride during the height of the Scourge of the French Revolution.  This is the Cassini map that is approximately 39-feet tall and 38-feet wide.  See also http://www.davidrumsey.com/xmaps10000.html

If there exists a 24-foot polar projection attributed to the Cassini family, it was an attempt at legitimizing a product by tacking on a name that was most closely associated with accuracy and precision in map-making.
Oliver_Bestfall
Oliver_Bestfall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RedorBlue on Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:42 am

Giovanni Cassini carried out his 1670's survey across France to test whether the earth was a perfect sphere , current favoured model , or an oblate sphere - a prediction of Newtons theory of gravity.
  His 24 foot terrestial planisphere map , centred on the North pole , was drawn up in the 1670s and added to as more data came in. He found latitude shortening to the pole - which completely demolished both the perfect and oblate sphere . First flat earth map imo.

Soldner copied the map in 1696 ,maybe later - it had been drawn on a floor - and altered it according his beliefs - his latitudes show latitude shortening the opposite way .

https://www.raremaps.com/gallery/detail/32236mp/planisphere-terrestre-ou-sont-marquees-les-longitudes-de-div-nolin-cassini

There is a proper representation on the web somewhere - seen it before. Will try and locate it sometime .

Basically wiki is full of shoite . Excuse mon Francais . Rumsey map is of France only.

RedorBlue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Oliver_Bestfall on Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:23 pm

Touché!

Oliver_Bestfall
Oliver_Bestfall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum